Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 1. Square 1.

In high school, I was a devoted runner. I ran cross country and, although I was mediocre at best, loved every mile. I continued running after high school, but due to injury I was forced to scale back my intensity a little under a year ago. My injury didn't get better, and I haven't run consistently in six months.
Today, I am able to start over. But I'm nowhere in as good of shape as I was a year ago. My goal? To get back to that point. My first race is New Year's Day. It's a 5K - I've run plenty of these before. I have 2 1/2 weeks to train. It seems slightly impossible.

My first run was this morning. It was terrible. The temperature was 20 degrees and I was a mess. By the end of the 2.5 miles, my feet ached (I haven't been wearing shoes with much support lately) and my leg muscles were so tight that it took a 30 minute shower to loosen them up again. My fingers were nearly frozen - and I was wearing gloves!  Of course, I also chose a course that was mostly hills. I'm such an idiot.

But even though this run was painful and frustrating, I'm going to be optimistic. I mean, the conditions were horrendous and I still made it through without stopping or walking. I think that's good, considering I haven't really exercised in months.

After a long shower and big breakfast, I'm taking the rest of the day off: tv, books, computer, play with the cats and nap! I'm also going to eat A LOT, because I want to make sure I am fueling my efforts!

Tomorrow I'm going to try 3 miles, but I think I'll do it inside. On a treadmill. With music. Sounds more pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment